Attendees: Jessica Kondel, Miki Hirano, Jerry Norton, Rosemary Troian,
Tracy Snell. Absent: Rod Miller, Stefan Leeb, Jeff McLain, Rick Rogers. Advisor: Maria
Chair Jessica Kondel opened the meeting.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
The minutes of the April and May meetings were approved.
Chair: Jessica Kondel Jessica participated in the Regional Board meeting on June
5, and gave a summary of the National EEO/Diversity conference call conducted by John
Oliver on April 5, 2006. Jessica told the Board members that the SW EEOAC is interested in
looking into conducting an employee workforce survey similar to those conducted by other
FMCs. Jessica also pointed out that the SW EEOAC has been able to complete many workplans
even with a small committee and no budget. Jessica asked Rod McInnis and Bill Fox for
their continued support for the Committee.
Program: Rosemary reported that she had sent out possible IDP survey questions to the
Program subcommittee and a final list was approved by e-mail by the subcommittee. Jessica
suggested that before we proceed with the next step on the work plan that the IDP survey
questions be sent to the entire EEOAC. Rosemary will do that.
Intern Workplan Jerry talked to people at California Dept. of Fish and Game
about their intern program. They obtained interns from Monterey Peninsula Colleges
Ocean Technology Program and 3 out of 4 interns worked out very well.
Jerry will keep us posted on his progress. Maria has had quite a bit of experience with
interns and she offered to help Jerry on this project.
The Program subcommittee will not be able to meet on June 8. The next proposed date is
June 14 at 2:00. Jessica will not be able to make that meeting, but Maria will.
Maria and Miki reviewed the Annual EEO Program Status Report for the Southwest Region.
Self-assessment measures for the Region were discussed, in particular those measures which
have not been met, whether they were applicable to the Region and, if so, what efforts
could be made to meet the measure. The SWR Executive Summary (written by Harris and
submitted along with the status report) was reviewed by committee members and it was
determined that this provided a sufficient summary of the Report. It was decided that the
Executive Summary would be presented at a Regional Board meeting. The SW EEOAC does not
have copy of the Status Report submitted by the SWC, therefore only the Regions
report will be part of this workplan.
It was also suggested that the EEOAC put together a presentation on EEO and ADR issues
for Rod and Bill to present to employees. Miki volunteered to work on this project, with
help from members of the other subcommittees. Tracy Snell volunteered to help Miki. Miki
will work on drafting a workplan for the committees review.
Bulletin Board Work Plan: Rod signed off on the plan and now we are just waiting for
Dr. Fox to sign off. The next step would be to get a person at each SWR/SWC location to be
responsible for the bulletin board at their location. Miki has already started a list of
items to be displayed on the bulletin boards.
Personnel: Tracy Snell drafted an introductory paragraph for the List Server Workplan.
Jeff and Rick are working on the instructions for this plan.
There was no new business. Jessica said that members should think of new workplans
which we can work on when the current plans are completed.
The committee also discussed making monthly presentations at the Regional Board
meetings (RMT) and the Science Center staff meetings, as a way to keep management advised
of the committees workplans. It was decided that Jessica would give updates at the
RMT meetings and Rosemary would cover the Science Center meetings. Each month one of the
subcommittees will be asked to provide a few talking points on something that theyve
accomplished or a project that they have been working on. Jessica and Rosemary will then
coordinate to ensure that the information is presented to the Regional offices and Science
Our next meeting will be Wednesday, July 12 at 1:00. We moved the meeting because the
first Wednesday of July is the day after the holiday.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:45 p.m.